weblogic issues

[Management:141191]The prepare phase of the configuration update failed with an exception

We were getting “[Management:141191]The prepare phase of the configuration update failed with an exceptions” in logs. I found one of the DataSource in my domain was in Suspended state, giving “unable to allocate resources to the application” errors while testing it. I tried to untarget and re-target the DataSource so that it can create fresh connections to the database killing all pending connections and avoid restarting the servers but the untarget changes took so long to be activated so I navigated away from the page and tried to activate the changes one more time and it won’t activate any changes that I made and the Error displayed on the console is as below. Restarting AdminServer did not solve the problem.

ERROR:
An error occurred during activation of changes, please see the log for details.
Message icon – Error [Management:141191]The prepare phase of the configuration update failed with an exception:
Message icon – Error java.lang.NullPointerException:
Below is the log excerpt seen in the Admin Server logs.
<Jul 20, 2011 3:45:43 PM GMT> <Error> <Console> <BEA-240003> <Console encountered the following error weblogic.management.provider.UpdateException: [Management:141191]The prepare phase of the configuration update failed with an exception:
at weblogic.management.provider.internal.RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.updateDeploymentContext(RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.java:648)
at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.targetserver.DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.doUpdateDeploymentContextCallback(DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.java:133)
at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.targetserver.DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.updateDeploymentContext(DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.java:27)
at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.statemachines.targetserver.ReceivedPrepare.callDeploymentReceivers(ReceivedPrepare.java:199)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException:
SOLUTION:
I was able to perform the same changes successfully after I followed the steps below.
1. Stop the AdminServer & ManagedServers.
2. On your AdminServer cd to %WEBLOGIC_HOME%\user_projects\domains\base_domain.
3. Delete the files under pending and servers/domain_bak directory.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 one each ManagedServers in the domain.
5. Start the AdminServer & ManagedServers.
6. Login the AdminConsole and click on ReleaseConfiguration button.
7. Perform the same changes now.

For more such weblogic issues and resolution click here.

Latest Weblogic Interview Questions and Answers

1 thought on “[Management:141191]The prepare phase of the configuration update failed with an exception

  1. Pingback: Server subsystem failed. Reason: java.lang.NumberFormatException: null -

Comments are closed.